Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Filipino Medical Student shares his first Latin Mass experience

An excerpt from a very moving post from the blog: Meditations of a Discerning Soul. Thanks to Frank for sending us the link. Emphasis mine.
Domine, non sum dignus....

(...)

Yes, brothers and sisters, if you are fans of the Traditional Roman Rite of 1962, you may recognize this Gospel for the Tenth Sunday after Pentecost. What point am I driving to? I am very excited to just type this here: I attended my first Latin Mass this afternoon! Being brought up in the Novus Ordo Mass, I had no idea what a Latin Mass was like until I experienced it this afternoon.

After having spent the previous night at a house of a very close friend, something made me attend Mass in their parish. I then realized that their parish celebrated a Holy Mass in the Extraordinary Form. I made my way to the church, all the while realizing the need for a missal. Good thing a very kindly lady already seated on one of the pews lent hers.

Actually during the start of the rite, I tried to recall all the videos I have watched about the Traditional Rite, and I began to get excited at the fact that I was about to witness everything before my very eyes. The silence was invigorating, inspiring, elevating!

What led my soul to great joy was when I saw the Host and the Chalice elevated, and later the Host coming into my very being in such a special way: kneeling, tongue out, and the priest giving it himself. My inner yearning for such a way of celebrating and assisting at Holy Mass has at last been realized. I can only praise the Lord for such grace!

(...)

* I attended this very beautiful Mass at the Divine Mercy Parish, Sikatuna Village, Quezon City.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a post graduate nurse, and I had also same experience of this when I attended the Traditional Latin Mass at Baguio Cathedral Oratory for the first time and it was the celebration of Pentecost (June 12, 2011). When I was in 4th year high school that was 2007 I already practicing how to pray in Latin (basic prayers) because one time I saw in a catholic channel (EWTN) that when every time they celebrate their televised mass they mixed latin in their liturgy so I become curios about Latin prayers, in that curiosity I watched the traditional latin mass in EWTN and I was amazed especially when they received communion they kneel near the altar. Then I had also a classmate who is a sacristan when I ask question about the Latin mass he said he is also learning about the TLM through internet and watched the Full TLM in the youtube and he was also amazed. From that time on I dreamed to attend a TLM in personal some day but at that time there’s no existing TML in Baguio because that was 2007. But when I was in college, I was 3rd year at that time (2009); I saw an announcement in the bulletin board of Baguio Cathedral that they are inviting parishioners to attend TLM, and then I said to my self I want to attend that mass but unluckily I never attended that mass. Now that I’m reviewing for our board exam and our review center is near the Cathedral and I had a time to attend the mass, I have no excused attending the TLM. For the First time I attended the TLM, this statement by the med tech student reminded of my first time experience, this is what I exactly experienced: “I tried to recall all the videos I have watched about the Traditional Rite, and I began to get excited at the fact that I was about to witness everything before my very eyes. The silence was invigorating, inspiring, elevating!